Tuesday, March 4, 2008

USNWC Staff Profile - Chris Wing

Chris arrived at the US National Whitewater Center last fall with a passion and fervor for whitewater kayaking that we are still (unsuccessfully) trying to simmer down. This guy just really loves whitewater kayaking and it shows. Chris is not only a phenom instructor but he is also an aspiring professional freestyle kayaker. This year he will be touring to some of the largest freestyle competitions in the country to see if this passion pays off. While on tour, Chris will be sharing his experiences through World Kayak as their Pro Events Corespondent.


USNWC:What's ahead for you this upcoming season?

CW: Well, what's not ahead of me this season may be an easier question? This will be my most ambitious year to date which includes new responsibilities with USNWC Instruction, a new project with World Kayak doing event coverage, my first freestyle circuit competing, and as always my continued web project H2O Dreams.

USNWC:What are you looking forward to most?

CW: Honestly, I'm pretty psyched about the whole upcoming year. But most of all, I look forward to my first trip up to the Ottawa in September.

USNWC: How will the good folks at home be able to keep up with your season?

CW:Two ways, H2O Dreams is a website I created that documents my friends and all of our shenanigans (always fun). H2O Dreams is going to experience some tremendous growth this summer, keep yer eyes peeled. As well as updates onWorld Kayak with event coverage.



USNWC:What have you enjoyed about working at the USNWC?

CW: Working with a young and ambitious team of kayakers. I feel that I work with a group of people that are truly on the verge of something big. We've got a lot of big plans for this instruction program that is unlike any thing I've seen.

USNWC:How have you been preparing for competition?

CW: Eating lots and lots of Wheaties, for real. I also just finished a three week trip to Rock Island, TN and got to paddle with many of the team members of Team Jackson. I felt it helped me with how I approach learning new things and preparing for upcoming events. Not to mention it was tons of fun!

USNWC: What sick moves are you presently working on?

CW: I'm working on smoothing out my phonix monkey and tricky woo, but I pretty much have perfected the side surf power flip to beat down and the carped roll to a swim. It's a pretty wicked combo move actually.

USNWC: What else should our valiant blog readers know about you?

CW: Nothing, they know too much already. Hmmm, I live in my truck. How's that?

USNWC: Last question...Aren't you glad I taught you how to kayak?

CW: Sharper, I am glad!